Wednesday, November 26, 2008

We are thankful...

It has been a full week since I watched the nurses take out Colin's pick line, packed up our bags, said good bye and headed home from the hospital. I am not too surprised that it has taken me this long to find the time to write about the end of our stay and update you all on Colin's status.

We have spent the last week settling back into our home routine, catching up with stuff at home and work, and continuing to care for Colin as he needs us to. I am proud to announce that Colin is doing amazingly well. The doctor told us that he would be a different kid afterwards, and we didn't really know what that meant. We figured, Colin is a pretty happy, content kid anyway... so how much better could he become? We expected him to improve medically, but we didn't expect anything more. But it's true. He has grown up so much over the last few weeks. It really is as if he has more strength and energy to play and interact with his surroundings. Oh... and he is getting LOUD!

One doctor suggested that because we removed so much mucus from his lungs, that
now his nutrients can go to his growth instead of going to "fight" the infection and mucus buildup. Colin now weights 18lb 12oz and is 29" long! That is 25th percentile for his weight and 75th percentile for height! Before he was diagnosed with CF, he was in the less than 3rd percentile for his weight. What a drastic improvement!!!


On a different note, I want to say that we are so thankful for each of you. If you are taking the time to read this blog and stay updated on our lives, we love you. If you ever say a prayer for Colin, we appreciate you. If you have helped us out in any way... from bringing us dinner to calling to say hello... we are so grateful to have you in our lives.

One of the things Colin has taught me is that life is truly precious. We don't know how long we have or what the next day is going to bring us. So it is important to make the most of every moment we have. To cherish the time we get to spend with family and friends. I will continue to do the things I need to do to help Colin live a fulfilling life, and I hope and pray every single day that he grows up to be an amazing man and lives a long and wonderful life. While it's not always fun or easy to give him the care that he needs, I know that there is nothing more important that enjoying every moment I have with my beautiful baby boy, and doing everything I can to help him thrive.

I wish all of you a wonderful Thanksgiving! I hope you are spending it with people you love.

Oh, and I am going to give DJ back the reigns to this blog. It has been a pleasure writing for you.

-Rebecca

No comments: